Lachulungla Pass in Laddakh

Coordinates:

A lunar landscape is all around us when we pass through the Lachulungla Pass on our way to Leh. Buddhist prayer flags could be seen on anything which is manmade here. No traffic and it is biting cold as we come out from the warmth of our car. Still a long way to Leh. Cold winds hit my head at 5000m and I feel no desire to drive ahead. All I need is a cot, some sunshine and plenty of time to rest. May be to rest for ever. At such a place I am the one with God. I forget about Delhi & Dubai. I think about an imaginary road leaving from here to heaven. Not sure it goes up through the peaks all around us or down the steep valleys below my feet. I think about how insignificant I am in this world or at this place. My age is just nothing against the everpresent mountain tops around me. I lift a boulder of granite rock - it is also billions of years old. And I, may or may not be here the very next moment. The life force with in me realises that this body is just a transport. There must be some other form of transport for the soul's eternal journey. Yes there is !! I smile to astonishment of my wife as I discover it. My mind starts its recital - 'Om mani padme ahem'.

Route : Only for expert hill drivers for self drive. Delhi - Chandigarh - Kulu - Manali - Rohtang - Lachulungla Pass